FIELDWORK

Montfort Castle is located about 12 kilometres from the Mediterranean coast (20 kilometres north-east of Acre) in the foothills of the western Galilee. For close to five decades in the thirteenth century the castle served as the principal fortress of the Teutonic Order. It was constructed in the 1220s and survived until it was besieged, taken and dismantled by the Mamluks in 1271. After a long period of neglect it was examined by Horatio Kitchener in 1877 as part of the Survey of Western Palestine and in the spring of 1926 was subject to excavations by a team from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. In 2006 the Montfort Castle Project was established by the University of Haifa and the Society for the Study of the Crusades and the Latin East under the direction of Professor Adrian Boas. It has carried out eight seasons of excavations in various parts of the castle and well as intensive surveys of its surroundings. See Montfort Castle Website -

 

http://adrianjboas.wixsite.com/montfort-castle-proj